Basics of Export Trade
Commitment is a big word!
This option gives you a 'taster' of your course to try out before you buy
- An Introduction to the Course
- A Video Overview of the Course
- One Free Module
- Q&A for that specific module
- The opportunity to sign up for the course, there and then
About this course
With this online short course, you’ll gain a broad understanding of exporting, its major players and the context in which exporting from South Africa takes place. You’ll get valuable insight into risks, regulations and cultural issues in export trade, and how to approach promoting your product in a foreign market. This course is designed for those wanting to upskill their knowledge of international trade, from managers across the export trade platform, to people wanting to move into the international trade service sector, including banking, insurance and freight forwarders. Combined with the online short courses in Export Administration and Export Financial Risk Management offered by the IMM Graduate School, it will help you pursue a start-up career in exporting. So how about a trade-off? A little of your time, for a whole lot of insight into the exciting world that is export trading.
What you will learn:
- Exporting in broad strokes, export transactions and who the major players are
- The regulatory framework for international trade and how countries negotiate trade agreements
- Global trade patterns and the global context within which exporting from South Africa takes place
- The importance and determining influence of cultural factors when doing business in foreign markets
- Some of the risks and pitfalls in export trade and how to avoid them
- The basic principles of marketing in an export context and explain how export marketing differs from domestic marketing
- How to research and select foreign markets based on the results of desk and in-market research
- The factors that influence an exporter’s approach to promoting their product in foreign markets
- Factors that may require a product to undergo modification for an export market
- How to differentiate between the international pricing policies normally applied to commodities, industrial products and consumer products
- The logistics of exporting including transport, insurance, management, administration, finance, payments and documentation
- How to assess whether a company is ready to export
Where this course could take you:Here are some career opportunities this short course will help you work towards:
- Manager or Clerk in the manufacturing and trading field
- International Logistics Manager
- Area Manager
- Shipping & Export Manager
- Business Development Export Manager
- Operations Export Manager
- Export Sales Manager
- Communications Manager
- Project Manager
- Business Manager
- Ship Chandelling Operation Manager
- Airfreight Export Controller
- Export Co-Ordinator
- Distribution Manager
- Logistics Manager
- International Banking
- Freight Forwarder
To sign up for this course:
Please sign up as a student first.
What our students have to say
about IMM Graduate School’s Online Short Courses
This was probably one of the most-informative courses I have ever done. The notes are so detailed and precise, it made studying for my assessments so much easier. GREAT COURSE!!!!
Excellent course. Easy to read and navigate the site. The additional reading was also helpful. Christa is very helpful on the admin side.
I enjoyed this course and I am hoping what I have learned here will help me grow as an individual and help me contribute to me organization. Christa was a great help and motivation, she knew just what to say and it kept me motivated.