Protection of Personal Information Act (PoPIA)
About this course
The PoPI Act came into effect on 1 July 2020. PoPI was drafted using the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as a guideline and as such, the protection of personal information in South Africa is now in line with international standards. This Act impacts all companies, organisations and citizens on various levels.
The course aims to outline the basic structure of, and principles contained in the Act. It provides references to and explains the relevant Sections in the Act.
What you will learn:
- The purpose of the PoPI Act
- About the eight principles of the PoPI Act
- The rights of data subjects
- What special personal information is
- The steps that must be taken to ensure compliance
- The impact of non-compliance
Where this course could take you:Here are some career opportunities this short course will help you work towards:
- Give you a good background to the PoPI Act
- Help you to make informed decisions when dealing with personal information in the workplace.
To sign up for this course:
What our students have to say
about IMM Graduate School’s Online Short Courses
This was probably one of the most-informative courses I have ever done. The notes are so detailed and precise, it made studying for my assessments so much easier. GREAT COURSE!!!!
Excellent course. Easy to read and navigate the site. The additional reading was also helpful. Christa is very helpful on the admin side.
I enjoyed this course and I am hoping what I have learned here will help me grow as an individual and help me contribute to me organization. Christa was a great help and motivation, she knew just what to say and it kept me motivated.